Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My Grandfather James “Jim” Franklin McCaleb

by

Fred McCaleb

He could read printed material good but could’t read handwriting. This is what my grandfather said when asked about his schooling. He could sign his name but didn’t learn to write much more. But he could read printing real well. According to my aunt Verla he won a reading contest at Fayette, Al. that was sponsered for the old people when he was an old man. I had heard him say the above way back yonder in time but had forgotten about it.

Grandma R.C. Hollingsworth McCaleb knew her writing, spelling from the Blue Back Speller, and reading. She wrote a few postcards to me when I was in College. She could spell a page in the Blue Back Speller by just giving her the first word and she continued with the rest.

Grandma’s full name was Rejina Catherine Mary Jane Adeline Martha Docia Juliann Katy Fisher Palestine Moress Morora Moriea Hollingsworth---daughter of John R. and “Bet” Jane McCaleb Hollingsworth. At least she told us that whether for fun or truth I don’t know. By her grandson Fred McCaleb. Four generation picture below of my dad H McCaleb, grandma R.C. McCaleb, Fred McCaleb and baby Jean Ellen McCaleb. I asked grandma if she wanted Jean Ellen and she said “devil no, I wouldn’t have her. I have already messed with too many babies.”

No comments: